Tuesday, February 21, 2012

TIME OUT!


TIME OUT! Some of you may think time out for a child Weston's age (14 months) is too soon. I seriously think he knows when he does something wrong (hitting) and why he is in time out. The only time we have put him in time out is if he hits me or Chad.  I have researched about this topic and most people say 18 months is about the time they started putting their child in time out. As a former kindergarten teacher I made sure my students knew their expectations. We had tons of fun and acted silly all the time. I was a pretty cool teacher (I think), but my students knew that they could not get away with anything either. As a parent, I want to have high expectations for my children and I want them to know that it is unacceptable to disrespect.  I guess I feel that I need to start at an early age so it does not get out of control. 

Weston always gets a warning. So if he hits me in the face (that is usually what happens) I tell him no and that it hurts mommy. If he does it again, I put him in time out and tell him that he cannot hit me. Most of the time he will sit there with a frown on his face and sometimes he will try to crawl away with  a lil' snicker. What a stinker. Right now timeout lasts for about a minute (or less).  After time out I tell him why he was put there and then I give him a hug so he knows that I still love him! I think it works!!

Weston's time out spot.

3 comments:

  1. Smart, way too many people don't discipline their kids or give them a structured life. It's not going to help them all in long run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Start early and often. :) I completely agree that you can still be a fun loving mom (or teacher) but also have your child know what is expected behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We started time outs for Jake around the same time too! My parents would hit his hands for touching things and I think that is why he hit more. I am having a strict no hand hitting rule for Levi!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete