Thursday, May 31, 2012

Mommy School- Dogs

Last week was the second week of mommy school! My planner was packed with playdates, Fundamentals and Swim class, photoshoots, and "to do's" but when we had a free time in our busy day we learned about dogs! Here are some of the highlights of our week:
-Words of the week: wag, pant, tail, pet, fur, collar, paw, bark, howl, bone, puppy
- We searched for all of Weston's doggies around the house and practiced petting the dogs. We talked about how dogs like to eat bones for a yummy treat.
-We made a dog bed for the puppies. Weston and the dogs took a snooze together.
- We focused on the color RED this week. We found red objects around the room. We even put Weston's RED Elmo shoes on the RED Clifford!
- Counting to 5! Weston loves the number two. When I begin counting, he says 2 for every number! So cute!
- Weston made a bone painting. He took a bone cookie cutter and dipped it into brown paint and stamped his paper a few times. Then, he fingerpainted with red paint. 
- Doggy Collage- Weston and I searched through magazines to find dogs. When I would find one on a page, I would ask him "where is the doggy on this page?" and he would point. Or I would ask him "is this a doggy?" and clearly it was not (a goldfish cracker or car). He would look at me with a serious face, like "are you serious mom?" and then say "no!" We had so much fun with this project! I was shocked that he sat still for so long. ;)
We hung his collage by his table. He loves showing it off to his friends! :)
- I made felt doggy ears and glued them to a headband. Weston wore them around the house and pretended he was a doggy. He barked and panted like a dog. 
- Books:
Where is Spot? by Eric Hill
That's Not my Puppy... by Fiona Watt
Bad Dog, Marley! by John Grogan


- Dog Songs and Fingerplays:
(How Much Is) That Doggie in the Window?
How much is that doggie in the window? (Bark! Bark!)
The one with the waggely tail
How much is that doggie in the window? (Bark! Bark!)
I do hope that doggie's for sale.


My Puppy
I like to pat my puppy (make puppy with one fist, pat)
He has such nice soft fur (pat puppy)
And it I don't pull his tail (pull tail)
He won't say "GrrrR!" (make angry face)



Five Little Puppy Dogs
Five little puppy dogs, in a kennel door,
One didn't like the crowd, then there were four.
Four little puppy dogs running around the tree.
Mother calls one puppy home, Then there were three.
Three little puppy dogs playing with a shoe,
Foxy ran to chase a cat, then there were two.
Two little puppy dogs, having so much fun,
Rover went to find a bone.
Then there was one.
One little puppy dog sitting in the sun.
He went to the kennel, then there were none!



-Fun Websites to check out with dog characters:
Fun with Spot http://www.funwithspot.com/us/   interactive games, books online, etc.
PBS KIDS (Clifford books and games) http://pbskids.org/clifford/index-brd-flash.html

No comments:

Post a Comment